Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka will be held on Sunday 28th March 2021 at 10.00 a.m. at the Auditorium of the Mahaweli Centre, 96 Ananda Coomaraswamy Mawatha, Colombo 07.
Members who wish to move any resolutions at the Annual General Meeting should send their resolutions duly proposed and seconded by two members to reach the Joint Secretaries on or before 1.00 p.m. on 05th March (Friday) 2021.
ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS/MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL FOR THE TERM APRIL 2021 — MARCH 2023
Under 28 (a) of the Constitution, Nominations are hereby called to fill the following vacancies.
In terms of Article 25 of the Constitution (Please note that the term “Constitution” here includes all amendments up to date),
Office Bearers of the Society shall be:
- Two Vice-Presidents
- Two Joint Secretaries
- Assistant Secretary, External Affairs
- Assistant Editor
Eligibility for Election of Office Bearers:
Article 26 of the Constitution, which stipulates the conditions for eligibility of Office Bearers is reproduced below.
26 (a) A Member shall be eligible for election as President or Vice President, only if he/she has been a member of the Council for at least four years and also has presented his/her research successfully by way of lectures at meetings of the Society and contributed to the Society’s Journal.
26 (b) All other Office Bearers should have been members of the Society at least for two years from the date of enrolment or one year as members of the Council. Nevertheless, if in the opinion of the council as expressed through a written motion indicating the need and accepted at a meeting of the Council, any member of standing may be elected as an Office Bearer under this category (as amended at the Special General Meeting of October 2012).
Article 27 (b) of the Constitution for retiring Office Bearers is reproduced below:
All Office Bearers of the Society shall be elected to hold office for a period of two years from the date of election. They shall, however, remain in office until new Office Bearers are elected. A retiring Office Bearer shall be eligible for immediate re- election, at the ensuing (second term-end) election either to the same office or to any other office, for the next term of two years. Even after the end of the second term of his office, i.e. even after four years they will be eligible to stand for election for the third term on the same provisions stated above. After the end of this third term of office (six years) they shall retire and not be eligible for re-election until the lapse of another term of office i.e. after completion of eight years from the first date of election.
Members of the Council
In terms of Article 23 (3) of the Constitution in addition to Office Bearers, there are fourteen other Members of the Council
Eligibility for Election: Article 26 (c) of the Constitution, which stipulates the conditions for their eligibility is reproduced below.
- (c) Out of the fourteen members to be elected as members of the Council under article 23 (3):.
- 10 (ten) shall be from among those who have been members of the Society for a period of not less than two years, and
- 4 (four) shall be from among those whose membership in the Society is less than two years.
- The periods of both i) and ii) categories shall be reckoned from the date of enrollment up to the closing of nominations for the particular year.
- May include a member elected under the amended clause 26 (b) above.
Retiring (non Office Bearer) members of the Council shall be eligible for re-election in terms of Article 27 (a) of the Constitution, which is reproduced below.
- (a) Out of the fourteen (14) members of the Council, seven (7) shall retire at
the end of two years i.e. one term of Office. As to who shall retire at the end of each term shall be decided on the criterion of least percentage attendance at Council meetings and if this is inadequate it shall be decided by the Council by secret ballot.
A Council Member retiring under this Article 27 (a), shall not be eligible for reelection until the next election.
The Council includes in addition the Immediate Past President of the RASSL, “provided that he is not removed by a vote of no confidence by the membership of the RASSL or has not resigned the post of president.” (Article 23 (2) of the Constitution)
Guidelines for Nominations
- All nominations should conform to the specimen enclosed. Nominations not conforming to the specimen will not be accepted. (Copies can be made if necessary).
- Each Nomination should be proposed and seconded by two members who are eligible to vote at the Annual General Meeting, i.e. who have paid their current year’s subscriptions at the time of signing the Nomination papers (Article 28 (b) of the Constitution).
- Members so proposed shall indicate their consent to the nomination by placing their signatures in the space provided for in the Nomination form.
- No member shall propose or second more than two nomination papers and also submit more than one Nomination. If these provisions are contravened, all such nominations will be invalid.
- In the event of nominees not being present at the meeting, their nominations shall be null and void- vide (Article 29 (b) of the Constitution).
- Nominations which have been accepted shall be notified to the members along with the Agenda of the Annual General Meeting (Article 28 (a) of the Constitution).
Closing Date for Nominations
All nominations should reach the Joint Secretaries on or before 1.00 p.m. on 5th March (Friday) 2021(can hand over to office, post and email the scanned document)
In the case of Ordinary Members, please make sure that any arrears of subscriptions are paid up to and inclusive of 2021. Only members who are not in arrears will be entitled to propose,
second and vote at the Annual General Meeting.
Please note that the AGM will be held both Online and Face to Face, due to the current situation of Covid 19.
Those who do not receive RASSL emails please send us your email addresses to email@example.com with your name and membership number before 5th March 2021.
Ms. Sandalekha Lawanya Ranasingha Eng. H. Mahinda Goonasekara Joint Secretary Joint Secretary